3 Things You Should Do After Being Injured At Work

There are many types of personal injuries such as car accident injuries, injuries that take place in a playground setting, slip-and-fall injuries that occur in a retail establishment, and injuries that happen in the workplace. When you are injured in a work environment, there are certain things that you should do. Here are a few measures you should take after being injured at work:

Notify your supervisor.

If your injury is not a medical emergency, don't wait to notify your supervisor. A delay in notification can make your injury seem minor or contrived. However, if the injury involves an emergency situation, such as where you have difficulty breathing, you are rendered unconscious, or you have severe physical trauma, it is best to obtain emergency medical care before doing anything else.

When your supervisor is notified concerning the injury, he or she may ask you to complete information concerning the injury in writing. The supervisor knows that the proper information must be obtained in order to file a workers' compensation claim. In fact, if you wait too long to report the incident, you may be ineligible for workers' compensation benefits.

Get medical help.

If your situation is a medical emergency, you may be transported to a nearby hospital for prompt medical care. However, if the injury is not a true emergency, your supervisor should be able to provide you with the name and address of the physician that is associated with the workers' compensation benefits.

Even if your physical state is not an emergency, it is best to be seen by a doctor as soon as possible. Be sure to explain to the physician exactly how the injury occurred. These details may be included in your medical records and can help substantiate your workers' compensation claim.

In addition to receiving care from a specific doctor or doctors, it may be necessary to obtain any diagnostic tests or laboratory work from a provider who also participates in the network associated with your employer's workers' compensation plan.

Contact a personal injury lawyer.

It is also important to seek legal counsel as soon as possible following your injury. Although the workers' compensation insurance may cover the cost of your medical care, the insurer will not pay if the case is disputed and rendered ineligible.

If you have been injured on the job, schedule a consultation with a personal injury lawyer in your area like Law Offices of Burton J. Hass.